PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - Fire Suppression System Malfunction
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2020, 17:28
Local Variation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Airbubba
I've made a career of breaking planes, not fixing them, so I'm not too familiar with these maintenance hangar fire suppression systems. It seems from the news accounts I've found online there is usually a 30-second warning period for folks to evacuate before the foam starts to flow. Is there no cancellation available? Or does the override stop the foam rather than start it without detection?

I remember doing a sim somewhere with the briefing that a halon or something similar cloud would fill the bay in event of a fire detection. I was told that if I didn't get out I would suffocate (but be pay protected for the remainder of the training session under the CBA ).
Airbubba,

The manual override will be to release the extinguishment. Due to the potential for the 2nd detector to not activate (for whatever reason, aka citing), you need the ability to enable if you can clearly see a fire event. The eyes and nose remain the best forms of detection regardless of technology development.

The manual override has control to prevent tamper, such as key switch enable or similar. But that assumes the key is not always left in the switch.