PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Measuring stick position in light aircraft
Old 6th May 2020, 08:12
India Four Two

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks chaps for your detailed and informative responses. I shall review in detail and decide how to approach my Pawnee evaluation flights. I'm also thinking of doing some evaluation of my club's DG-1000 glider. Depending on which seat I sit in and whether the 12 Kg of tail ballast is installed, I can evaluate CG positions from near the forward limit to about 60% of the way to the aft limit. The advantage of evaluating a two-seater is that I can have a safety pilot and therefore spend more time "eyes in".

Genghis, you guessed correctly - I'm not a test pilot, although I do have a copy of "Handling the Big Jets" and I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express!

As well, these numbers can be used to quantify the control harmonisation. The classic handling formula is 2-4-6 units of force to generate a rate of attitude change in roll, pitch, and yaw - the venerable Chippie is one aircraft that meets this. Although it is not the whole story, as I understand the Spitfire does not.
Jamesel,
I've flown both types. A couple of hundred of hours in Chipmunks a long time ago and 30 minutes in a Spitfire a few years ago. Compared to the delightful handling of the Chippie, I was surprised by the Spitfire's handling. It was very sensitive in pitch but the ailerons were very heavy, even at only 250 kts. I think here is a reason for that two-handed spade grip!

I did wonder whether the pitch sensitivity might have been due to an aft CG - I was a bit heavier in those days!

PS I've just looked up the Siai Marchetti 1019. A turbo-prop Bird Dog with up to 400 HP!

Last edited by India Four Two; 6th May 2020 at 08:23.