PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick-2
Thread: Gatwick-2
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2020, 06:32
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VS and LGW

This is desperately sad news for VS, LGW, but especially for all those facing job cuts at the base- I really do feel for them. I don't think any of us thought we'd ever see the day where VS would withdraw from LGW completely, even if the airline had gradually been reducing ops here in favour of LHR expansion. LGW was where it all began for VS back in 1984, so it doesn't bear thinking about no longer seeing their 744s/333s/332s at LGW; we certainly will miss them. I just hope that, on behalf of all the employees and ground staff, that it won't be too long before we see them back at Gatwick- I am sure they will return at some stage, even with a reduced network and reduced capacity as a result of the 744 retirement. The press release mentions that they are retaining their LGW slot portfolio to "allow us to return in the future" (see https://flywith.virginatlantic.com/g...ronavirus.html).

In the meantime, what do people think will become of the now former VS check in and Club lounge in the North terminal?