PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-off technique in light singles and twins
Old 6th May 2020, 01:22
Mach E Avelli

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
Turbine aircraft are a different story. With auto-feather and real performance you are in another world and those I fly in accordance with the AFM procedures.

However all is not as it seems with some turbine AFMs. Beech claim a V1/Vr of 95 knots for a zero flap take-off. This is NOT a 'true' V1/Vr in that the power-off stall speed at gross weight flap zero is more like 100 knots, i.e. VSi is above the 'V1/Vr' they quote. While the wing is being 'blown' by two good engines no harm will result from a smooth rotation at 95 knots and about 5-10 seconds later blue line will have been achieved (if the pitch attitude is not above about 7- 8 degrees nose up - all engines operating). To achieve advertised take-off run performance the correct rotate speed of 95 knots is required.
But throw in a total loss of power on one side as you rotate - even with the autofeather doing its thing - and you would be well advised to put it back on the ground just like you would in your light piston twin. Better to take out the farmer's fence than to dig him a new well.
To those who say that they can handle a failure at 95 knots in a B200 at gross weight flap zero and fly it away safely I would recommend some simulator at high weights, rather than what you may have experienced during benign base training at light weights.
Another aircraft that can get quite exciting if the failure occurs at Vr is the MU2. No way can you safely fly that thing away from just off the ground with an engine failure. Yet to my mind - treated with due respect - the MU2 is the best light turboprop ever built.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 6th May 2020 at 01:39.