PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2020, 00:49
shiningstarofcheso

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are mortgage free then a career break is always nice otherwise it’s a choice between temporary (few years) vs perm career change, and for each one of those, max cash vs work/life balance.

For Good cash and quick short term training:

- IT as others have said. Vendors like Le wagon can teach you from zero to hero in about 3 months everything you need to design and build an app from scratch to a developer standard - enough for you to go it alone or get a junior developer job. It might spark your interest and decent ‘qualified’ pay. Adds to the cv.

-trading if you’ve got the balls, either personally or in FS. You’ve certainly got the analytics and decision making capabilities. Experience is less an issue if you can demonstrate to employers your logic on a trade based on what you foresee playing out, and show you have skin in the game personally. Some people are naturals and some of the best I know have no financial qualifications but can see implications of world events 4 steps ahead of others.

-teaching - easy to get the qualification technically provided you can deal with the practical skills. Decent pay and in demand, lots of life experiences to share.

If it was me, I’d take a break, study python and apps development online at home on a zero to hero type course. Good for the brain, the cv and you have multiple ways in 3, 6 or 12 months to exit or take further depending on what aviation is doing. It’s practically what every Finance professional does when they have been made redundant over the past year. It’s an area that people have not yet embraced and so you are still competitive.

I personally think demand will be needed 1-2 years down the line, definitely when a vaccine is touted, and so wouldn’t overcook this.