PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling MarkerInbound !
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2020, 23:50
MarkerInbound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Guys!!

I hadn’t see anything in the NA forum for a while and guess I haven’t been checking in as much. This is out of the Flight Standards Information Management System- F-SIMs.

C. Removal of the Type Rating Limited to SIC Privileges. Removal occurs when the applicant accomplishes the appropriate type rating practical test for PIC privileges.

So yes, it would take an ATP checkride to “upgrade” a SIC type to a regular type rating. And if the checkride is going to be done in a simulator under part 142 there has to be a training program before the checkride.

The SIC type was put in place to verify the F/O's qualification to foreign CAAs. And while airline training for F/Os has been about the same as Captain's training, the part 91 world is a bit more relaxed. About the only reason I can think of why air carriers didn’t do the full type for F/Os before it was required is they would have needed a Fed to watch the ride or the check airman would have to have been a APD and there weren’t as many ADPs in the airline training centers. Now because everyone needs a full type there tend to be more APDs in the training centers.

The official answer to almost any FAA question is in F-SIMs, that’s where the FAA person is going to look for guidance.