PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-off technique in light singles and twins
Old 5th May 2020, 18:52
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
Most of my hours on Piston Twins (around 2000 hrs) is on the Navajo series, Cessna 340 and Piper Aerostars. All sit pretty level so you can roll to relatively high speeds without the aircraft getting light on its wheels. Personally I lift off at 5 to 7 knots below blueline which is around 100 kts for the types listed. I start a gentle pitch up at 95 and the aircraft comes off the ground smoothly and cleanly at around the 100 kt mark. Positive rate, blue line and gear up comes in a few seconds later and now I have some options. Climb out is blue line +5kts to 500 AGL and then a smooth transition to 120- 125 kts at which time I go to climb power

One thing that is critical to understand is if you are anywhere near to the ground and not at blue line speed with the gear up your only option is to close throttle and glide to a forced landing straight ahead.

Turbine aircraft are a different story. With auto-feather and real performance you are in another world and those I fly in accordance with the AFM procedures.