PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Measuring stick position in light aircraft
Old 5th May 2020, 11:36
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
For control position, I use the small pocket 36" measuring tapes, and carry a few spares. Masking tape to the stick and appropriate cockpit feature. I do this more in helicopters than airplanes. Some helicopter testing has stick position as a primary element, not so much for planes.

For stick force, I use a digital luggage scale with a "peak" feature. If I miss recording the peak control force, I get get it right after the maneuver.

I tested the rather unsettling pitch control force reversal on the Siai Marchetti 1019, after experiencing some non compliant handling during testing. The negative pitch forces I had encountered were quantified by my testing. Those negative forces, in this case, did correspond to abnormal stick position - during a test climb with C of G well within the range, I reached the forward pitch control stop, and the nose was still rising. This seemed to be a design characteristic of the type, and was never resolved, but I didn't certify it either! In this chart, "Tq" means engine torque