PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working Life After Flying
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2020, 11:13
TRENT210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CASBO
Why be so incredibly defeatist?? The skills/experience that got you to the nice airline gig will get you to another nice place but you must set out to apply them. Que sera sera will have you bulldozed by the motivated competition.

The industry is in a terrible place. Those who survive this crisis still have to face the forces of a globalised workforce willing to work for vastly less money than Europe/US salaries, and we hold a skillset that is dumbed down by the day.

The writing is on the wall, folks. Act to protect your future prospects.
I think you misunderstood my post. I’m not being defeatist. If I do get make redundant I will try my hardest to get back in the flight deck, just like I did to get in. If it’s not a flight deck job I’ll try my hardest to get the best paid / interesting job I can.

My point is that I feel lucky that my lifestyle won’t have to change much if I end up having to take an “averagely” paid job because it’s what I’m used to. Compared to some people (and it’s not exclusive to pilots) I’m not financed out of my backside with a big mortgage and cars on the never never etc.

p.s the skippers comments about me being the roughest pilot they’ve ever flown with is said as banter. They also admire my achievement.

Last edited by TRENT210; 5th May 2020 at 11:29.