PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas puts Project Sunrise on hold
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2020, 05:01
Colonel_Klink

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Telfer86

how do you start international to higher infection countries , will countries just do strict bilateral deals with other low infection countries ? , with all sorts
of pre-screening
I would have thought something like this would make sense...although it probably starts to get quite difficult on a larger scale. But initially NZ and the Pacific Islands should open up. And possibly ban people who have visited a country in the last 3 months with a high infection rate (even if it’s a transit).

I think the option also needs to be to allow people from overseas the ability to come to Australia, but still have to self quarantine. Quite a few friends of mine have relatives in the UK...relatives who would be desperate to come and see new members of their family, etc.

Also to keep things on an aviation theme, the flying schools around Australia who have cadet contracts would have the ability to bring these students in, have them self quarantine for 2 weeks (whilst having initial theory done remotely) and then kick off flying from there. It seems flight training is one of the only parts of the industry that is continuing at the moment - but as cadet courses finish up, they too will start having significant shut downs in the next few months. This arguably could be the case for all overseas University students (a $12b industry). Admittedly the political appetite for this probably isn’t where it needs to be yet, but I hope it happens sooner rather than later.