PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Measuring stick position in light aircraft
Old 5th May 2020, 03:49
Jamesel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
India,

You might find that stick FORCE per attitude change, rather than stick position is generally what the handling pilot perceives, unless the stick travel is very unusual - reversed or very large. Think back to your first flights in the 182, I am sure the heaviness in pitch - especially at the flare - is more prominent in your memory than how far the yoke came back.
A more suitable implement may be a “Fish weighing scale” used to measure the pull forces required to generate “g” loads, or pitch and roll rates. Correlating these with the varying airspeeds found during the climb, cruise, descent, & approach would be interesting. Measuring the pull force required to maintain an off-trim speed can give insight into the pitch stability characteristics.

However, one thing I do, especially when first flying a new-to-me aerobatic aircraft, is to measure/estimate the position of the stick at the stall. I also look for the amount of aft (for upright, forward for inverted) stick travel available past this point. Stick position, as well as load, does give a powerful clue to the angle of attack & nearness of the stall boundaries.

As well, these numbers can be used to quantify the control harmonisation. The classic handling formula is 2-4-6 units of force to generate a rate of attitude change in roll, pitch, and yaw - the venerable Chippie is one aircraft that meets this. Although it is not the whole story, as I understand the Spitfire does not. Measuring the rudder load would take more flexibility and a smaller physique than I personally possess, an estimation would suffice here, I think.

Have fun, & congratulations on planning a more scientific checkout than most....

Jamesel

Last edited by Jamesel; 5th May 2020 at 04:03. Reason: Stick position