PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 4th May 2020, 18:17
Arcanum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As someone who consistently flies 15-20 long-haul returns per year on BA (usually in Club World) I hope things work out as well as they can for everyone. It's a great carrier which I always choose over other alternatives, no matter where I'm headed in the world.

However, as someone who has worked in the tech industry for 20-years, I'd caution people on making comparisons to the 2008 GFC. The company I work for, like many in the tech industry, switched everyone over to working from home in early March and it's been pretty seamless. IT networks and systems have coped without issue. Meeting times and agendas have been adjusted to deal for Europe/U.S./Asia time zone differences. Which is a bit painful for all involved, but no less than multiple hours on an aircraft followed by jet lag. And there's a bonus upside of seeing your kids grow up, not fleeting moments on FaceTime.

The working from home environments we have now are becoming a habit after only a few months. In some case, free from the distractions and interruptions of the office, working from home is more efficient with the software that's available now. As many companies aren't talking about getting back in to the office until deep in the year, these working patterns will become normalised. It will be getting on a plane that feels weird.

Little to none of this was possible in 2008 after the GFC.

Once COVID is over, I fully expect to go back to some level of travel. Customer meetings and some internal meetings simply need to take place in person. You can't maintain or build new relationships over Video Conference alone. Yet I expect it will be 8-10 long-haul trips a year, not 15-20. Moreover, travel is a huge cost to many tech companies, and the finance departments have just discovered that a lot isn't necessary to be effective.

I completely believe the predictions about it taking many years for business related air travel to reach 2019 levels and can understand why the airline business is going to have to change to cope with that. Yet I wish all those impacted in BA the best of luck. You've always got me where I needed to safely, efficiently and with excellent service (no matter which cabin I was in).