PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard times for Norwegian
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2020, 16:45
737lpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matt283
What I understand from news they want to operate in the future around 47 aircraft which is 1/3 of current numbers with bases only in Scandinavia and LH routes from Scandinavia which have been previously cancelled.
I doubt it. LH routes were already canceled from most of Scandinavia before this crisis because they were not profitable due to the catchment area and touristic interest not being enough to justify LH there. If that was the case then, imagine now with traveling demand out the window.

Leaving national sentiment aside, remember that the new owners are now mostly American and Irish, and they are investors interested in getting their money back and then make some while they're at it. This means that they will open and close routes based in their margins, weather that's north, south, east or west.

This also goes for the crews. Norwegian stopped growing crew bases in Norway a long time ago and didn't even have a LH base in OSL despite their LH operation there. This is so because Scandinavian crews are more expensive than crews in Italy, UK or Spain for example. And I doubt that current owners will look at anything else than profit margin and yield returns in the future, particularly when they already closed Scandinavian bases in CPH and ARN for both SH and LH.

Don't be surprised of a new CEO and executive management replacement when the new board is formed in a few weeks... And expect them to have a strong airline background and speak English with no accent.