PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-off technique in light singles and twins
Old 4th May 2020, 10:37
421dog

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Let me play advocate as well: One I fly is a c-421 with a Robertson STOL kit installed. Per the (updated) manual, I should be dragging it up at 74 Kts, after 800 and change feet of ground run with 15 degrees of Fowler’s out.
If something were to happen prior to blueline. I suspect it wouldn’t be pretty.
Conversely, at Blueline, it’s about as exciting as afternoon tea to either shut it down or continue the takeoff depending on remaining runway length. (Multiple simulator goes at my annual recurrent training in a level 4 with the perfomance numbers plugged in, and at least one actual where particulate contamination caused an engine failure at 20 ft or so)

I’ve shut down a couple times at sub-blueline speeds when somebody coked up a turbocharger and I ended up with asymmetric thrust, (interestingly, it was well below Blueline, but likely around where I’d have been off the ground in a max performance takeoff when it became apparent. Those GTSIO 520s have a lot of stones)

i need to acknowledge that I have zero issue with the numbers in the several King Airs, MU-2s 425’s or PA-42s that I fly. On these, I’m by the book.

Last edited by 421dog; 4th May 2020 at 11:02.