PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 3rd May 2020, 14:09
FlipFlapFlop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Running Ridges

I'd suggest the following might be constructive:
1. A very public offer from the unions of dramatically reduced salary (50%+?) & part time arrangements for perhaps 6 months in return for no forced redundancy. If BA's real motivation was to reduce staff costs to get through the crisis (it's obviously not!!), this would solve their problem. OTOH, their refusal of this offer would confirm beyond any doubt their nefarious motives. A big price to pay on the off chance they did accept but nothing compared to the job losses & T&C decimation suggested
2. Unity within the BA pilot community - bickering about who is being more selfish by keeping their job isn't going to help anyone - you're all getting rodgered at this rate!
3. Working with other departments - don't forget that CC, Engineering and others are going through the same as you at this point. I know the relationship has been a little acrimonious at times, but you're in this together, and will only be able to get out of it together. CC in particular may be a useful ally - their plight might be an easier sell to the tabloids.
4. Work with the rest of the industry - Somewhat ironically, it may be very much in your interests for Virgin to get the loan / bailout they are seeking. It would effectively force BA to do the same, and as mentioned above, this is the opportunity to enforce conditions on job retention & protection of T&Cs
Great post.
No 1 would need to be soon.....before the likely beneficiaries of redundancy become known. Today this would have almost unanimous support I suspect. Tomorrow..maybe not.
No 2 Yep
No 3 Yep
No 4 Yep