PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No More Spin Training?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2020, 17:10
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
A bit off topic but while I agree in principal with Centaurs re the need to be able to safely fly the go around from anywhere including close to the ground and in a low energy state, I think the broader issues is what I see on a daily basis. Too fast unstable approaches that should have been thrown away at 200 ft AGL but are pushed to the flare with the inevitable PIO and hard nose wheel first touchdown. I make my students call "stable" at 200ft AGL. If the aircraft is not on a steady flight path to the chosen touchdown point and within - 2 kts/+5 kts on the speed I want them to go around.

This is like the spin issue. Don't treat the symptom, you have let the aircraft get into a spin so now you have to recover,treat the cause. You failed to fly the aircraft effectively because you let it stall and then did not correct the yaw. That is what we want to teach students to recognize and avoid. Similarly lets concentrate on getting students to fly on speed stable approaches and insist that they don't push bad ones. AFAIK none of my students have ever had to go around at very low speeds and close to the ground after a massive bounce.