PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report of plane missing near Renmark SA
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:31
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
most of my learning has been by trial and error. Some days I wonder if my survival to this point has been pure good luck.
Know the feeling. I was being checked out on the Cessna 425 Conquest. On the downwind leg of a left circuit, the chief pilot acting as instructor and at least 1000 hours as pilot in command on type, pulled back the throttle on the left engine against the idle stop. That is not zero thrust. Although initially flying at a safe speed I was unpleasantly surprised at the immediate speed decay and worse still my inability to counter the drag of the fully closed throttle setting.

Turning final towards the windmilling engine I doubted if I had the leg strength to maintain directional control. I remember telling the instructor there was no way I could maintain directional control if he asked for a single engine go around. He said nothing.

It was a struggle to stop it rolling into the dead engine. It was poor airmanship by the instructor and certainly endangered the flight. I didn't mind the simulated engine failure but his failure to set zero thrust as soon as I had identified the dead engine left no margin for mishandling. Frankly it rattled me and I had lots of hours on turbo-props.

It is a pity that ATSB do not adopt the FAA policy of publishing a most probable cause of an accident when there is insufficient evidence to produce an irrefutable cause. At the moment it becomes anyone's guess as we can see by Pprune comments and nothing is learned especially after three years. .

Last edited by Centaurus; 2nd May 2020 at 12:07.