PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 2nd May 2020, 09:27
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TURIN
There is a government idea called The Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. It involves a company accepting government (IE tax payers) money to supplement the wage bill to avoid redundancies. BA is currently part of this scheme. I don't expect this scheme to run indefinately but I do expect those companies who use it to live by it's rules.
Turin, I suspect the intent of the Scheme was to preserve jobs/pay in the short-term while "lock-down" is in place but for industries to re-open and quickly go back to fairly normal pre-Covid levels. Clearly, not all industries will do so; aviation being one where most agree we have seen a huge impact which may take months/years to recover from - thats another debate. Other industries will bounce back more quickly (essential retail, etc, etc), others more slowly (discretionary retail, restaurants and bars, etc, etc - often dependent on the shape of the "lock-down" exit strategy adopted) and finally, some like aviation may be a way down the line. Others will doubtless even see an upswing in trade - divorce lawyers for one - after this is all over!!!

What is agreed by all is that changes implemented by companies which go beyond the essential changes required to meet the post-Covid marketplace (such as taking swipes at illness benefits) are cynical, opportunist, attacks on Ts & Cs. Good luck to each and every one of you - sad and shocking times.

H 'n' H