PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IAG: BA restructuring may cost 12,000 jobs
Old 1st May 2020, 14:08
RTM Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RexBanner
WW doesn’t care though because he’s not a normal human being, he lacks any basic empathy. In short he’s a psychopath. Unfortunately these are traits that are widespread in business nowadays. Don’t even bother asking what they think when they look in the mirror. They just don’t care.
With the rise and rise of accountants running all sorts of businesses these days, when they're not loading unsustainable colossal amounts of debt onto company balance sheets, claiming it's "efficient", and thus consigning them to bankruptcy down the line (see eg Thomas Cook), employees are simply seen as a cost centre by CEOs with an MBA and their team of number crunchers. When they say "our employees are our greatest asset" they mean they cost the most and like any asset, when you don't want it anymore, get rid.

Many, many years ago I had a meeting with our firm's chief accountant who was demanding we cut staffing on a project because the company 'needed' to save money. I explained precisely why this was a very bad idea and what the consequences would be, including that we would be breaching the contract we had with the client for doing what he was demanding. He then simply repeated his demand to drop the headcount. I suggest he could save even more money if the business got rid of all staff altogether. I swear than for a second my sarcastic idea crossed his mind as a viable option.