PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC 225 Crew question
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2020, 01:43
Twist & Shout

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimf671
Back in 2012/13 after the 225 ditching incidents, I dug into the numbers for large rotorcraft accidents. Based on what I found, it looks very like helicopters are dangerous. Who knew eh?

Since then, what are clearly the two safest large rotorcraft ever built, the S-92 and the 225, have done a lot of work and been involved in further incidents, one just yesterday. What is as clear as it's ever been is that if you do all the work then you'll have all of the accidents. Anyone fearing flying in a 225 or S-92 needs to take a much closer look at the alternatives in order to bring a proper sense of realism about helicopters. Some will put their faith instead in the new super-mediums and I am sure we all hope that faith is justified.
Statistically safe.
But potentially a fatal flaw. One that is proven, and can not be detected or mitigated by the Pilot.
Flying along, enjoying the AFCS, trying not to thing about the MR system departing.

Thinking about “strapping an EC225 on” - Watch the video of the MR falling by it’s self. Look carefully at the collective movements on the FDR. Until things are clearer.