PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best basic trainer?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2020, 13:02
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
There have been quite a few comments on inverted spinning. The Tucano was cleared for inverted spinning because during the release to service trials it was considered that if it spun inadvertently during aerobatics then the probability of the spin being inverted was about 40%. In fact, the first inverted spin that occurred during these trials was on a pilot currency sortie during which he let the navigator who was in the rear seat fly a few aerobatics. His attempt at a 1/2 Cuban 8 (rolling on an up 45 line) resulted in an inverted spin!

I once has a JP5 (no tip tanks) enter an inverted spin from a practise spin from a manoeuvre. On an up vertical line I closed the throttle then at 110 kts (max speed for spin entry) I applied full back stick and full left rudder. The aircraft rotated and started to tumble, generating a noticeable nose down pitch rate. I was about to say "This would be a great display manoeuvre" when it entered a fully developed inverted spin! The Aircrew Manual recovery was to centralise the controls so I tried this. However, there was severe aileron snatch and I could only maintain the stick laterally to within about half deflection. So saying, it recovered fairly quickly. I did some digging and discovered that an inverted spin trial had never been flown in the JP5 and that the advice in the Aircrew Manual was based on the JP4 trial! I did try this entry again and the departure was the same every time but I then recovered before it went fully developed inverted. I did hear stories that others had reported having it spin inverted but they had been told that they were wrong because it doesn't!

Back to the thread, the Harvard was originally an advanced trainer for piston engine fighters, although some Air Forces did use it subsequently as a basic trainer; I think that it is definitely the best trainer for tailwheel piston-engine fighters. With respect to what is/was the best basic trainer, every aeroplane has its good and bad points and they are all a compromise. The question is always then the best for precisely which aspect of flying? But I do have very fond memories of the Harvard, Chipmunk and JP5 - and the Tucano!