PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Pilots
Thread: Future Pilots
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2020, 10:18
FL Tree6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shamrock_f22
Training to become a pilot has made little sense at the best of times but especially now. It was always my dream and until very recently I gave it everything I had. I was utterly devastated to be rejected by AL on their cadet programme at the last hurdle... Then covid19 happened just a few weeks later.

Other than following my dream, a career as an airline pilot still didn't make much sense but now I thank my lucky stars I didn't get through and give everything up only for this to happen.

What do I have to fall back on? A decent career as an Engineer and now sales person. I've made €60k in commission alone in the last year which is more than some pilots make full stop from what I've heard.

Honestly I think you should go elsewhere for now. The airlines treat people like dirt, they're incredibly arrogant, the jobs won't be worth the crap salary they offer new starters and you can enjoy a decent lifestyle until it all picks up again in the future.

Back in 2005 I went to AL to find out some information on their cadet programme. Bumped into one of their interviewers instead. He told me if I really wanted to fly then I would find a way and he was right. Best advice I ever got. No salary will ever match that feeling as you takeoff. I've been trying to make ends meet since 2005 and still wouldn't trade it in for all the commission in the world.