PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions needed .. yet again!
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2020, 02:48
roger7060

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply Captain. Much appreciated.
Can you please suggest a few books I can start with. Is it mandatory to do RPL or can I directly go for PPL? Any idea about the average cost for PPL?
Moving out of Sydney is not feasible right now because my wife got a permanent job here and job opportunities in my field (Project Management) are considerably higher in Sydney.
Originally Posted by PoppaJo
The large majority will claim you are too old, expected. I went in late. Similar age, due to another industry (trade) which was more attractive at the time (and still is). However was on the Airbus 10 years post my first GA job. Had kids late, so will probably be working until I’m 80. Age and prior work experience in another field I felt got me across the line. Employers spent more time asking about me previous non aviation job that my flying experience. I got all the jobs first attempt. My competition was 20 years younger.

I would probably get a move on right about now and not let it drag on too much longer. You can get a PPL relatively quickly and CPL can be done fairly quick too if you have time of work, no kids, will help. Get the books now start reading.

The hardest part would be getting the first job. If I was in your boat, I would probably do all the training in Darwin, Perth or Cairns. Cairns I highly regard, due low output of CPLs, highly regarded CFI and local operators will prefer local based pilots.

Ideally out of CPL you want to go into some form of full time job. Doing a instructor rating is another $25k but will potentially have a job lined up. It would be better for progression if you bypassed the instructing path, into some form of CPL full time job, then twin, regional etc. Can be done, and it’s a trend that occurs for those training up the top. Can shave a few years off. It’s all the timing sadly, relationships formed and who you meet.