PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Pilots
Thread: Future Pilots
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2020, 00:29
Callsign Bro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for your feedback, there's some really interesting reading above.

I probably should have mentioned some of my backstory earlier: I'm 40 this year, studying an Bachelor of Aviation (including ATPL's) - a late bloomer, I know right!? - I'm about to complete CPL's with a job offer to instruct on the table upon completing CPL + Instructor Rating. I haven't suffered quite so much hardship with Covid as I still have a job and truth be told, startup costs for university/flying equipment broke me harder than the Covid situation so I by no means have experience with the catastrophic lows some people are experiencing and maybe (mentioned earlier) this tints my glasses a little bit rose. I''m close to completing CPL's now so I still have a couple of years of ATPL 's and hours building to go so I'm not even "Industry ready" yet - mentally and life experienced yes but skill set, depth of knowledge and type rated no. I feel I've committed to the longest part of my training as it's now well past the halfway mark and like my original post mentioned (like pilots with lapsed currencies) I think there is value to push on and complete my course, even if for the moment it is just a case for my resume to say "Degree".

In saying that, instead of being a human sheep and falling for all the clickbait and horror stories out there, I'm trying to find a broad spectrum view and evaluate (risk assess) things that may sway the industry one way or the other.

There are some very valid points coming in and I value both the optimistic and not-so optimistic perspectives posed. I'm by no means misguided enough to think things will be hunky dory straight away but I'm also influenced by my grandfather's 5P's - Pre-Preparation Prevents Poor Performance so I do find a degree of value in completing my degree.... at least if things change for the better, I'll have my skills in the pocket, which is more than I can say for some classmates who are deferring from next semester just to observe the situation a little longer. I don't feel pressing on or deferring are bad decisions either way, more a case of personal circumstances at play.

In the end, none of us really know how it will play out. I have neighbours on my street who are itching to get away once restrictions are lifted, on the other side my eldest kids lost their jobs months ago so are doing it a little hard but as a general we're all getting through it. On a personal level, I'm by no means put off flying in the future. I concede, will be scrupulous with my destination but not the mode of how I get there.

At the moment, I'm taking this as a life lesson in tenacity but I AM watching the media vigorously too. Hence, I've presented here - we as a group may have more rounded and less hype fuelled views. It seems to me, I've placed my thoughts in many capable hands here, so thank you all.