PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-off technique in light singles and twins
Old 29th Apr 2020, 14:48
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the wheel does look awful tiny and would suffer from a lot of shimmy but I can't quite put my finger on why exactly.
Talking about nose wheel shimmy. Prior to all the new construction that led to Essendon Fields was a one man flying school run by an eccentric whose name escapes me. He owned a clapped Piper Apache that he hired out cheaply (bring your own elastic band to hold the door handle in place).

Some teenage kid managed to get into and start one engine and tried to taxy and hit the cyclone fence at the back of the Apache. The owner went ape and kicked the kid in the guts after the gendarmes caught the kid and held him until the owner arrived. The owner then kicked the female cop who tried to tell him to back off.

We cross-hired the owner's Cessna 150 and the instructor designated to fly it saw the nose-wheel tyre was deflated. The instructor pumped it up to the correct pressure and departed. On landing back at Essendon the aircraft experienced nose-wheel shimmy so serious that the instructor thought there may be unseen airframe damage the shimmy was that bad. He wrote it up in the maintenance release.

The owner who had a short fuse, went mad at him for not only sullying the maintenance release with a defect entry but also for pumping up the nose-wheel tyre to the correct pressure. That was because the owner had deliberately dropped the nose wheel tyre pressure 50% to minimise the nose-wheel shimmy which had been a feature of that Cessna 150 for months. Slight thread drift maybe but over the years there has been some interesting characters who ran flying schools at EN