PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Future Pilots
Thread: Future Pilots
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2020, 12:53
Callsign Bro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eimin
I am sorry. I do not mean to be rude, but have you just landed back from Mars?

Unemployment in the two most notorious continents, over 26m in US, ECB estimates 56m in Europe.
Some countries will suffer terrible consequences in their GDP and purchase power in their population.

BA firing pilots, Wizzair, Ryanair, Norwegian, Icelandair, etc.

We are talking about, in many cases, +10000h cpt and very experienced fos.

Airbus struggling for survival (won’t go bust), Boeing slashing thousands of employees.

Where exactly do you place any future “pilot shortage”?
I would venture you can forget of any shortage well into end of this decade.
Mars was lovely thank you.
And this is what I was hoping to discuss - let's bounce some ideas around.

We HAD a shortage but what happens when the economy re-invigorates? Trying to look at both sides of the coin, the only people who can fill pilot roles are pilots. I'm hoping to get a feel for people's gut instincts or even personal experience/s when it comes to re-entering or choosing to stay out of the industry.

As far as I can see, a certain percentage will return either from redundency or furlough (will there be enough to fill industry need - who knows?). A certain percentage will choose early retirement or change path to instructing/chartering etc opening opportunities in commercial flying and a certain percentage will need up-skilling to further their career into captaincy.

I appreciate what you're saying about terminations and I'm sorry to those who have been affected but with every industry collapse/crisis there is a dissipation of skilled workers that goes along with it. Some of that dissipation takes years to recover and I don't mean just in terms of manpower but depth of knowledge as well.

I'm looking for opinions and thoughts to that end - what does your gut instinct tell you about what's coming in the future?