PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fewer passengers, higher fares (good Indy article)
Old 29th Apr 2020, 08:30
Paul Lupp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^
Ah..... somewhere I have a list of all the new taxes introduced in the UK over the past 20 years or so. I can remember when our standard rate of VAT was 8% (more usually,10%) instead of the now, quite frankly, extortionate 20% and also when I first started working, I recall that National Insurance was around 4% whereas now it is double or more - and you can't avoid paying unless on a very low income, so it is effectively part of income tax. Taking that into account, the total percentage of income tax plus NI is now about the same in percentage terms as it was around 40 years ago, yet other taxes are much higher (eg VAT which replaced our old Purchase Tax), and we also have APD if we fly, tax on gas, electricity, telephone bills, insurance premiums etc etc - yet despite a rising population we have worse government-provided services.

Anyway I didn't want to change the subject to taxation in the UK.... these are truly tragic times for so many and will only widen the gap between the rich and the not-rich. It's not just aircrew who will be affected - airlines, airports, the entire travel/leisure industry, hospitality (hotels/restaurants) and many others will be significantly affected or wiped out. Heck, I can't even get my hair cut in a barbers any more, and home visits by hair care professionals are also banned.... can't even go and see elderly frail mum 20 miles away as that is also banned :-(

Never in a million years did I dream that Boris would take our freedom away from us and cause so much suffering to so many millions of people