PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK-131: Airbus seconds from doom over Moscow (Report in The Times)
Old 29th Apr 2020, 07:24
Capn Bloggs

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
It has nothing to do with automation or manual flying or Airbus thrust levers.
Vilas, I sincerely hope that Airbii are easier to fly than trying to comprehend that report; I really struggled there! Whether that was because of the complexity of the A380 or the report itself, I haven't yet worked out.

It appears the PM had off day and was not with the aircraft and played no part in the proceedings CRM or otherwise.
Apart from the FMS reset just because waypoints weren't sequenced "correctly"...

As for the "Capturing the GS from above procedure", one is asking for trouble setting the ALT SEL above you. I'm surprised Airbus would use that as it's policy. It should be set to 1500ft AAL and if you capture the altitude before the GS, tough, GA and do it again. This and many other recent incidents are showing crews becoming more and more detached from the aircraft and having procedures that are one step away from failure, so close in to the airport, is just asking for trouble.

What is it with pilots using Open Descent close in to the airport to facilitate a descent? The poor technique of using the secondary effect of controls to control the flight path again!

Quote of the report: "In this situation (GSIFA), taking into account the ground and the obstacles, and if ATC permits, it may be appropriate to perform a 360° turn before resuming the approach". In a 380?