PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2020, 05:33
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Lepper Messiah
Well not exactly. Qantas decided very early on that as a group they basically need to shut down to preserve cash. 20000 people were stood down without pay with the idea of not making anyone redundant and having everyone return to work when the crisis is over and things lift.

In NZ obviously the labour laws are a little different and a stand down was not possible in the same way as oz so a temporary amendment to the cea was required and voted in very quickly without fuss from the staff.

Air NZ is an absolute mess. I'm surprised they didn't do the same thing, early on, just shut down and not pay people rediculous amounts to sit around and do nothing. It must be costing them millions.
There's been no threat or talk of redundancies at qf, in oz or NZ, and everyones doing their bit and making the sacrifices in order to preserve the company and jobs.

If there's work to be done then people are stood up to do it and paid accordingly, as are those vital to keeping the company going.

Since then Australia has introduced the jobkeeper subsidy and NZ has the wage subsidy which every one who was stood down without pay are receiving the basic subsidy from their governments

​​
Having worked for the QF group on this side of the ditch, I think I can safely say all those involved were well aware of what the outcome would be if they didn't agree to being stood down, even if it wasn't explicitly stated.
QANTAS would also be in the exact same situation as Air NZ if not for the different employment Laws around standing people down. Everyone's "doing their bit" because they weren't given a choice. I doubt those 20,000 would of voluntarily taken LWOP after being locked out by AJ back in 2011.

The Australian Wage subsidy is also worth about twice what the NZ one is.

Originally Posted by dctPub
Air NZ not interested in keeping staff long term.
Wouldn't be surprised if the staff reduction is permanent. Apparently Foran thought the airline was 20% bigger than it should be in his vision when he joined the airline.
Probably right. Even after Redundancies we still have more Pilots than 5-6 years ago.
Redundant Pilots will likely be called back to cover attrition (~30 per year) and possibly a bit of "cautious growth" in the years after COVID.

Based on the CEA Redundancy clauses though, they could of justified making 700 of us redundant. (less than 60 hrs average for 3 consecutive rosters)
I'd say they are interested in keeping *most* staff for the long term.
Redundancies seem to be based around reverting Luxons expansion and consolidating routes to the money makers once the border re-open.

Last edited by ElZilcho; 29th Apr 2020 at 05:45.