PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Newquay
Thread: Newquay
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2020, 14:34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
Some of the language has been inflammatory and people have been abused in the streets etc - Cornwall needs every friend it can get - now the UK is out of the EU all that EU money that's been spent down there will disappear pretty fast..........
Completely agree. I live in Cornwall, and whilst a bit of second home bashing banter is always good sport for the locals, recently it has gone way too far. Cornwall absolutely needs every possible friend it can get, and the way some absolutely ignorant people have been behaving and spouting off lately leaves me worried for the state of humanity. Two examples, one extreme and one not so.
1) two seperate people who are Cornish locals, who have jobs etc but cannot afford house / flat etc, live in Motorhomes, and have done so for last two years or so. They have recently received death threats and threats of arson against their vehicles. Thankfully story made local press and Police have taken in their defence which seems to have stopped the actions of the ignorant.
2) Gordon Ramsey. Granted your either love him or hate him, but he was berated by locals and the press for a 25 mile bike ride the other day. Oh wow. I did the same to, as it seems are loads of others I know going by what they post on Strava etc, and all who are Cornish locals, any locals bashing them? Nope.
I'm afraid it examples like the above that make me ashamed to be Cornish at times, there are a lot of people down here who need to get a grip of reality and have words with themselves if they want Cornwall to do well on the otherwise of Covid-19.