PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best basic trainer?
View Single Post
Old 28th Apr 2020, 11:06
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
Was the beneficiary of basic training on the JP3A, with no elementary training prior to this. I found it invaluable to be able to watch the instructor during his demo, and he was always able to see where my scan was breaking down during IF. The 3A appeared to conform to one definition I have since heard of a good basic trainer: "easy to fly, challenging to fly well" (my speed/height control in the circuit being prime examples of straightforward tasks that took a while to master). The syllabus and the required standards can then take advantage of these attributes.

Regarding helis: the Whirlwind syllabus I experienced (hi, Oldbeefer!) certainly included some Spanish Fuel (Manuel Throttel) exercises; I'm not sure if flying everything that way was the reason students succeeded on the OCU (neither Puma nor Wessex having collective-mounted throttles). Mastering skills that aren't required on front-line aircraft is an unnecessary distraction, even if it allows for students to demonstrate capacity and dexterity (although as the collective is held by the left hand, 'dexterity' is possibly not the correct word). The wastage-rate on the OCUs was partially addressed by introducing the advanced phase at 2 FTS, initially using borrowed RN Wessex HU5s.

In many ways the Whirlwind was an ideal basic helicopter trainer - the one type allowing all the basic exercises (nose-up slopes being a particular challenge) plus the relatively-advanced stuff like trooping, winching and underslung loads. A whole generation of Gazelle-trained individuals missed-out on throttle skills, which became evident when many moved on to civilian flying and struggled with the likes of the MD902, EC135 and B212/412.