PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mildura Rednecks wreck our fair go reputation
Old 28th Apr 2020, 04:35
oicur12.again

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
“On what basis do you presume to speak for everyone?”

On the basis that EVERYONE has a face planted in a cheap mobile phone surfing the net for the latest deal on a flat screen TV wearing a shirt that will be replaced next month for the princely sum of $20 and has bought into the wonders of free market neo liberal capitalism at its finest.

I think the way we are slaves to capitalism in the west is fundamentally flawed and we are about to find out the hard way just how flawed. However the genie is out of the bottle, several generations have been grown up thinking debt based consumption and perpetual economic growth is the norm and they are not about to volunteer to step back to a hand me down lifestyle.

“but at least China because it is a communist dictatorship and Chinese companies are ultimately the tools of a communist dictatorship.”

Most Chinese companies manufacture stuff for American and German and Australian companies and are no more or less subject to the diktats of the Government than companies in America, Germany and Australia are.

Some industries in ALL countries are closely controlled by their respective Governments, that much we can expect. My wife spent several years as an executive for a tech company here in silicon valley where it is widely understood that the big tech companies such as Google, Apple and Facebook are very closely tied to Washington, the DOD, DARPA, CIA etc.

“China’s long term plans are not implemented for the benefit of Australians.”

And Australia’s long term plans are not implemented for the benefit of China. And America’s long term plans are not implemented for the benefit of Australians.

“I will rejoice on the day that their oil runs out”

I will too and look forward to it with baited breath.

“Perhaps the standard of living of the average Australian would be better if, instead of being mature aged babies, they understood that throwing last year’s flat screen TV and other devices onto the ever-growing piles of e-waste at the rubbish tip is good for the likes of billionaires like Gerry Harvey and his counterparts in other countries, and few else. “

I tend to agree, see my comments above regarding the problems inherent with capitalism. But good luck convincing the average consumer that they should stop consuming.

“they also have the least similar culture or regard for anyone else's culture or even territorial rights.”

And the English did? The French? The Americans?

“YET our universities are (until recently) absolutely full of Asian students hankering for an "Australian" education.”

No, they are hankering for an education.