PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Flying Badges
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2020, 14:39
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chugalug2
Much the same could be said for 30's SAC a/g. His day job was as Ground Crew in much the same way as Voyager CC's is as Mess Staff. The a/g's became aircrew in their own right and the ground trades they left behind had to be filled by others. I couldn't agree more that professional aircrew need to be professionally trained. Indeed CC could be but the start of a career in other RAF Aircrew specialities, but first and foremost they start as Aircrew in their own right.

In the meantime the RAF is once again out of kilter with its own Air Regulator, a position that seems to fit quite comfortably in some peoples minds but graphically illustrates the powerlessness of the MAA. A Regulator should regulate and have its Regulations fully complied with. Unless and until UK Military Air Regulation and Air Accident Investigation is made outwith and independent of the MOD and of each other, avoidable accidents and needless deaths will continue to happen.
AG during a world war that millions died and bomber crews were especially hit hard is a far stretch to a mess steward now serving food at FL350 in an air conditioned cabin in peacetime!

You may also note that this role is now obsolete as it was no longer required and professional aircrew and technology now fill those roles where required.

chugalug if you want to be recognised as aircrew, get to the careers office and apply.

Until then, cabin crew are NOT and never should be aircrew, thankfully the RAF recognises this in exactly the same way as GE, Air Dispatchers, MAMS, MICs, Aeromed etc arent.

They are more qualified by orders of magnitude compared to what are essentially waitresses in the sky. I am not trying to be derogatory in any way. I am trying to emphasise that they perform ZERO aircrew functions. Are they part of a crew, absolutely, are they aircrew? Not. Even. Close.

you can take aircrew of any flavour and they will all understand airspace, RT, aircraft tech, air law, principles of flight, ATC, emergency procedures (FRCs) etc put 99% of cabin crew on a flight deck and they would not have a clue and would be no use to aircrew if their input was asked for. I have never flown or operated a C-17, Typhoon, or Chinook, but put me into a cockpit right now and we could fly anywhere in the world and I would be 75% up to speed to get us there safely, albeit not 'fight' the aircraft at the max of its ability.

That is the difference....that is why the RAF doesn't recognise cabin crew as they are just that, crew for the cabin.