PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2020, 01:34
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda
Well....If I was at Air NZ ( I’m not) I would be leaning heavily on my Union reps to put forward an amendment to the contract whereby every pilot stays in their same seat but goes onto 50% pay until 1st October where it is reverts to the current situation pending review ( ie if flying is picking up it could be raised to 70% pay for 3 months.)
The reason I’d want that even if I was senior is for the longevity and health of the company and the 205 about to lose their jobs.
They actually used that as an "extreme" example in one of the Zoom meetings. Basically saying it might of worked but it would of never ratified... they did say however, it does nothing to address the surplus when we all come off the 50%. Even the most optimistic projections have us being a smaller Airline for years to come.

Seniority, while I'd never have it any other way, certainly has it's faults. If everyone's job was equally on the line I'd say it's fair to say a lot more would be willing to accept 50%.
Of course, everyone job might be on the line if the Airline were to not survive, so it's possible a 50% vote might pass as more Pilots realise how much skin they have in the game.