PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2020, 00:56
InZed

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 73qanda
Thanks for the info.
So the pilot group can not legally ratify an amendment allowing for all pilots to remain on 60% salary under NZ law? That is a real shame.
What's even worse is that the smaller Air NZ union (FANZP aka 'Feds') have under their contract's redundancies clauses, that there is the ability to negotiate redundancy packages. But NZALPA does not, and being the conservative option, the Company elected to apply that clause across the entire pilot group.

Which is a real shame, because with almost 50 senior jet pilots (approx. half being 777) having put their hand up for a voluntary redundancy package, the Company and unions had a bloody great opportunity to put their heads together and work out a semi-decent option for the company to get rid of some of the guys and girls off the top of the list, that they don't need right now. American Airlines as an example, offered anyone 62yo+ the ability to reduce to 60% pay, and retire immediately.

One of multiple sources online about the AA deal:
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...fer-to-pilots/

This would solve the unprecedented down training issues that the Company now has to tackle. And it WILL NOT BE pretty. I imagine they will be trying to keep pilots 'on fleet' to reduce cross training costs. So a C20, could be eligible for F7 but will instead be forced into F20, and given bypass pay. Much like some F7s that will be down trained into S8 but entitled to C20... So they will effectively get a pay rise to be a SO...

The seats and pay scales are going to be a mess! Happy to be proven wrong on this one... But I have heard from a Senior Fleet Manager before this started and said that "if we end up in a redundancies, it is going to turn into a complete and utter mess"... So even management know it. And what's more, I do not see this saving the Company as much money as they think with the amount of bypass pay that is going to be occuring.