PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPAs flown using CDFA - deriving DA/H
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2020, 22:04
TeeS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aucky
Are any helicopter operators under EASA required to add an increment to the MDA/H for an NPA procedure in order to derive a DA/H for a CDFA operation?

AMC3 CAT.OP.MPA.110 doesn't require an add-on to be applied.

AMC1 CAT.OP.MPA.115(a)(5) which applies only to aeroplanes requires operators to establish an add-on to be applied and specified in the OM.

ICAO Doc 9365 doesn't require an add on to be applied unless the state/authority choose to require it.

NPA 2018-06C 'All Weather Operations' suggests this requirement will also be removed for fixed wing if the proposed amendments of GM5 CAT.OP.MPA.110 are adopted "... the safety of the use of MDH as DH in CDFA operations has been verified by at least two independent analyses concluding that CDFA using MDH as DH without any add-on is safer than the traditional step-down and level-flight NPA operation..."

As it stands CDFA is not currently mandated by EASA for helicopters conducting NPAs, but are any pilots required by their OM to add-on an increment when deriving a DA/H? Or when using a Jepp plate where there is no factored margin in the NPA DA/MDA?

Thanks in advance
​​​​​​​
Greetings Aucky
I have to confess I haven't seen the NPA but I'm aware of some helicopter operators that have instigated CDFA approaches without considering the requirement to re-calculate the OCA to provide a DH which protects the MDA.
Cheers
TeeS