PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK-131: Airbus seconds from doom over Moscow (Report in The Times)
Old 26th Apr 2020, 09:12
Uplinker

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts
Please don't get me wrong: Technology should certainly not get in the way of basic flying; but we simply would not be flying way we fly now without modern tech. Try driving a Mark I Landrover for a day to appreciate how technology has improved our modern car driving experience.

The problem with tech and flying arises when poor classroom training*, (and/or CBT), coupled with poor SIM training, coupled with poor testing allows some poor pilots - including some Captains - to slip through the system and "control" actual aircraft. 90% of the time they get away with it, especially in a modern ATC environment. But sadly, occasionally, these pilots' shortcomings show up, sometimes with terrible results. Pilots like me started our careers flying basic passenger aircraft with no AP, no FD, and no A/THR. As we progressed, we assimilated, (and most of us embraced), these systems as we encountered them, but we had our previous experience of manual flying in the background. Today you can go from a PA28 equivalent straight onto a modern FBW aircraft. Perhaps this process bypasses some basic airmanship stuff?

Aviate
Navigate
Communicate

I will never understand people's problem with Airbus FBW thrust levers. Poor training perhaps? The more you push, the more thrust you get, same as a B737. On the way the Airbus FBW A/THR has various detents to limit and control the auto-thrust for various situations. The N1/EPR gauges show what is going on. Simple.

Your car almost certainly has a "fly-by-wire' throttle coupled to a FADEC, but I bet most of us don't mind it controlling our engine nicely and smoothly. Starting instantly on cold frosty mornings and adjusting for accessory loads, (and giving good economy)

*How many times has your classroom trainer said: "If we only have 20 mins for lunch, and crack-on; we should be able to get through all of this and beat the rush hour"?