PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Officer exchanges
View Single Post
Old 26th Apr 2020, 01:47
Senior Pilot
Chief Bottle Washer

Received 183 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by downsizer
I can't wait for him to answer....
He won't be: he has been removed from Mil Forum for a while now. To think that this was an earlier post of his only a year and a half ago

Originally Posted by BVRAAM
Hi everyone,

I am currently in full time education as a mature student, to achieve the minimum standard of academic qualifications required to be eligible to apply to be an RAF Officer.
I am interested in the Pilot branch, fast-jet flying has always been my dream since I was a little boy (and particularly Air Defence), however sadly the realities of life meant I could not apply when I was 18, hence why I am now quite late.
As I am close to the upper age bracket in my mid-20's, it's not lost on me that the boat for Pilot direct entry may have sailed by the time I make it to OASC and I am fully aware of this, however I will still be eligible for the Weapon Systems Officer or Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems Pilot branches, and I most certainly would like to be commissioned aircrew on the front-line.

My questions are: If there is still a Pilot shortage in the RAF, what is the likelihood that Cranwell will offer me a commission in the Pilot branch if I am a year or two over the limit, but I have a great interview, impress the Officers at the interviews and I pass all of the fitness and medical tests?

If commissioned in to the WSO or RPAS-P branches, what is the likelihood of being able to re-train to the Pilot branch after a good first tour? I focus on RPAS-P especially as I understand that all of those in the RPAS Pilot branch must complete Elementary Flying Training on the Grob 120TP Prefect, to earn their wings to move to the MQ-9A (or later MQ-9B) OCU. Logically, a good EFT course could be the foundation blocks for getting sent to Valley at a later date for BFJT on the Texan and so on.

Finally, I understand the Armed Forces in general are still in a bit of a state regarding manning, but how long realistically could one expect to wait from the initial application, to the AFCO interviews and then OASC interviews? I have heard from anything between 9-12 months for the whole process, but I'd just like to make sure.

I would really like to serve, and if the truth be told, I'm at the stage in my life where I'd happily fly anything, as long as I could wear the brevet. Of course I'll keep working hard and fighting for a jet slot, but I really just want to fly aeroplanes in the military, and as long as I am an operator involved with the core mission, I reckon I'd be happy. With that said, if I can avoid it, I'd rather not spend a whole 12-20 year career just flying the MQ-9. There are mixed views on it from the guys I've spoken to - the consensus I am seeing is it provides a decent lifestyle, especially if you have children, doesn't take you away for months at a time (LRE dets aside...) but is incredibly boring to fly. I want to be a pilot because I love being in the air, and something that's extremely boring might not hold my interest for the long term.

Thanks in advance for your help, ladies and gents.
But the discussion about exchange postings is an interesting one so the thread has remained open. Just don't bother to comment on the OP, please