PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2020, 17:40
Capt PPRuNe

Chief PPRuNe Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Scroggs says above, Virgin Atlantic isn't the most profitable airline but it has been struggling for many years against BA with limited access to slots at LHR. As an employee myself with only 10 months to retirement, I can attest to the fact that Virgin has some of the best terms and conditions in the industry for its pilots. After over 15 years with them, it will be sad if they do not survive this crisis but as Scroggs points out above, it won't affect me personally too much. I do however worry about all my colleagues and all the employees of the company who are at risk of being thrown on the scrapheap should the company fail due to not being able to raise sufficient capital to last out the current slump.

At the moment, the company is flying cargo only flights with the B789 and A35K. Those operating to HKG and PVG are potentially soul crushingly long duties. Operated with 7 pilots (3 crews of 2, 2 and 3) and 4 cabin crew fire watch, the duties are over 24 hours and possibly up to 30 hours. Whilst the dispensation has been provided by the CAA for these out and back single duty period trips, I am personally glad that I don't have to operate them as I'm currently furloughed. 24-30 hours in an aircraft, no matter how look at it is not very nice and I applaud the crew who do operate these flights, the majority of which are on behalf of the NHS bringing PPE and other kit back.

Whilst some on here flippantly assume that should the company not survive then most of the employees will be picked up by whoever steps in to fill the gap, it is never quite so simple. Often, it takes a long time for these unfortunate victims to get re-employed and how many would like to bet that the Ts & Cs of any new entrant will never be as good as they have right now. It just pains me to read some of the remarks from posters who obviously have little idea of what they say and obviously just enjoy being part of the baying mob sticking two fingers up at Richard Branson as though he is going to be the one who suffers the most should the company fail. Virgin Atlantic is its 10,000 employees who make the operation work and it is those same employees who month in and month out her fill the HMRC coffers with their income tax and NICs.

Someone worked out recently that the pilots alone will contribute more than £850m to the treasury over the next 20 years. SO let's have a bit of common sense when posting on here, a forum originally designed for professional pilots. Outsiders views are accepted but think about how you appear to us if you go slinging unresearched vitriol.