PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does CASA and Air Services decide whether an airport has a Control Tower?
Old 25th Apr 2020, 12:02
Traffic_Is_Er_Was

Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Received 182 Likes on 75 Posts
The carcass of the console was up in the cabin. It hadn't had any fit out done to it. I reckon there wasn't that much left to do on the Tower and equipment rooms, except for finishing the cabin fit out.
When I got there (in '87), the Radio Tech had one of the houses and the FS OIC and one FSO had one each. I think there may have been 5 or 6 built all up. The Met OIC had one also I seem to remember, maybe one or two of the other Met guys might have had the others, I can't remember. All the Departmental houses (except for the Met ones) were sold to locals when the FSU was closed. The staff got first option, but none of us took it up.
I remember being told the panes of glass making up the cab windows were something like $10000 each installed. There were 12. The signal lamp was still hanging from the roof last time I was in there, circa mid 2000. What was left of the goldfish was on the floor. The separate ground level equipment room was practically complete. Most of the ATC en-route radio and comms gear was installed, and stayed in use by Darwin ATC. It was relocated across to the other Airservices radio sites prior to them gifting the TWR site (and other surplus ex AsA buildings) over to the aerodrome operator.

Last edited by Traffic_Is_Er_Was; 25th Apr 2020 at 12:22.