PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK-131: Airbus seconds from doom over Moscow (Report in The Times)
Old 25th Apr 2020, 10:19
RoyHudd

I Have Control

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landflap, I fully agree with your views, clearly based upon experience. I would add one perspective, The blame for over-reliance upon automatics in my last company was driven by the Technical Department, led by an immature geek who was evidently fascinated by the newest technology offered by Airbus. This individual brought his influence to bear in writing incomprehensible tech notices and contributing to the creation of complex and unworkable SOP's. These were often based on over-use of the FMS on the large Airbus fleets. An increased number of unstable approaches and go-arounds ensued, creating additional problems due to the minimum fuel carriage recommendations. Management pilots led the way with dodgy approaches, missed approaches, and diversionsl. Many of the trainers disagreed with the SOP's, but chose to keep their heads down. ("Green" SOP's also enhanced the risks, with higher flap settings on approach and landing again creating problems). The company expired before the present crisis, thankfully without a major incident.