PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Flying Badges
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2020, 09:42
Bob Viking

Received 550 Likes on 150 Posts
VH

Let’s not forget though, as a rotary pilot, only your EFT was completed on a proper aircraft before you went off to fly those strange whirly contraptions.

Maybe your badge should have had extra wings to reflect the heretical nature of your chosen platform.

I make the point light heartedly but surely a pilot is a pilot? There would be uproar if we wasted money and training hours on pilots that don’t need them. We don’t send rotary and multi guys to fly the T6 or Hawk (likewise we don’t teach FJ students to fly helos) so why bother sending Reaper guys? Why waste time doing things that don’t need to be done?

As I said previously, if a Reaper guy were to crossover that would be the time do the extra bits. If they then failed that course they would be chopped like anyone else and could return to Reaper.

A multi crossover guy who gets chopped at Valley doesn’t cease to be a pilot so why would a Reaper guy?

I realise some people will never come round to the modern way of thinking which is their prerogative but if those of us serving can cope maybe just let it slide. It won’t affect your life one iota.

Final thought. If you were to chat to a person with wings on their uniform what would be the first question you might ask? Probably what do they fly. How you judge them after that is up to you. But they are still an RAF pilot regardless.

BV