PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Falklands Conundrum
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2020, 07:41
AndySmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gooey
Greetings.

My apologies for a small FI thread drift. Like others, I have done some enforced reading and greatly enjoyed "The RN and the Falklands War" David Brown (sic 1987-sorry don't have the book on me at this moment). It reminded me of numerous air and Joint things from my time. It also made me aware for the first time of the positively huge logistics challenges. As has already been mention, leadership traits come in many forms and I have seen this personally on operational and training flight decks. Mostly from excellent types but a few others.

What was interesting in the book was a claim that late in the war the Type 42/Canberra shoot-down may have been associated with a new ASM using another aircrafts targeting (the book speculated that it was an Israeli Gabriel ASM (possibly EO and not radar guided) using a Canberra as the launch platform and a Mirage III radar for targeting) against HMS Penelope (all recall here is subject to old age and G&T illusions). The Argentine Air Force and Navy, whilst limited in some respects had also shown adaptability in other areas such as Strategic Recce (707s), Long Range Anti-ship (C130 bombers), Land Anti-ship (navy Exocets at Stanley), Decoy and diversion missions (Learjets using the Stanley radar for SHAR warnings), Air Mobility into the FI (C130s in particular) etc.

Has anyone any additional details on this Gabriel ASM speculation?

Finally, I had the privilege as a rather drunk FLTLT to hear CAS Sir Peter at a Dining-In Night mid 90's. God knows how our truckie base got him as the guest speaker but he came across as a true gent.

Happy ANZAC Day!
Hi

Having spent some time researching the Penelope incident, I don’t think there is any certain conclusion as to what they thought they saw that night. I have even listened to a recording made on board of the incident, including captains commentary and gunfire. However, the Gábriel missile speculation is just that and is not a weapon that was in the possession of the FAA (Argentine Air Force).

Penelope and Cardiff were both operating in reasonably close proximity to the north of the islands at the time, and the incident was around the time that Cardiff engaged the Canberra. I think maybe it has something to do with the misperception of the objects in the sky at the time including a night time missile launch and an aircraft making its final journey to earth. Having spoken to a member of Cardiff’s crew, and heard his description of how the crew members on deck of Cardiff opened fire with small arms and AA guns at the Sea Darts being launched by Exeter several miles away during the Exocet attack, mistaking them for an Exocet heading their way, in daylight on the 30th May in the confusion of the developing attack and the perception of being in danger, I am inclined to agree with him that probably something similar occurred on Penelope. Whilst he has said as much to some members of Penelope’s crew and been poo-pooed by them as they are convinced they were under attack, I am sure that is somewhere close to the truth. However, I guess we will never know for sure, other than it wasn’t a missile from a Canberra. I believe my sources in Argentina when they say that this was absolutely not a missile of theirs.

Cheers