PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2020, 05:50
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by InZed
Are you saying that the ongoing issues found within ALPA are solely due to CM? I have no issue with his minions on the council. It is not a good leader when EVERY SINGLE PILOT you speak to has at least one example of them being yelled at down the phone by him. He is a dicktator, and not a leader. And the fact that he will be getting a PAY RISE from his own down training (C7-14% vs. C8) is awfully convenient. All my group of friends are of the opinion that the Council, under the CM dicktatorship, has resulted in a situations not benefiting the general pilot group, but more protecting the top 10%.

The other **** up is with the pathways; all those prop pilots at the bottom of the jet list are staying on full pay on the left seat on a turboprop. And their new contract means that even if they are down trained into the right seat, they remain on full pay! And they are all looking at getting their jobs back ahead of some experienced jet pilots at the bottom of the list, with nothing else to fall back on.

Pathways is and always will be a complete failure. They need to get rid of it. Especially now: there is NO pilot shortage (so no need for pathways anymore), and there is HUNDREDS of redundant (experienced) jet pilots (check and training captains presumably too) from VA NZ sitting around. I am sure in a few years there will be a majority of them that won't find flying work, and will happily jump onto the bottom of the jet list! Better to hire them than some regional pilot that has failed jet interviews, failed jet type ratings and have no jet/international experience.
Agree with everything you've said except for what I've bolded. There is nothing in this agreement for the top 10%.

Outside of a few mail runs and charters, the 777 is effectively grounded and, based a on a few leaked documents floating around, will only have ~20 Pilots in each seat post COVID. It's a safe bet to say the 772's will be getting an early exit. Doesn't matter if we ratify this agreement or not, downtraining is coming for the majority of 777 Pilots which will cascade all the way down the list.

I'd say the Council was well aware that we have a large number of Pilots, well protected by Seniority, who would of voted no to this agreement without blinking if they were faced with the 14% pay-cut along with down-training and no IP. By having that exemption, they're effectively asking those Pilots to take a 14% Cut while they sit at home waiting for their 787/A320 Course.

As AM (or maybe JH) said in the Zoom meeting, they could of presented a 50% AFFA document in an attempt to save everyone's job... but would it of ratified? Think we all know the answer to that one.

ALPA has always had a problem with certain Ego's getting their heads in the door, but they don't usually last. If the Federation grow larger to be comparable with ALPA, they'll eventually have the same problem. However, in terms of the actual agreement, I strongly suspect it is what is it because they had to present something they thought would ratify.

CM is just one person. If this fails, it's not a problem with the ALPA Council, it's a problem with the membership. Honestly, some of the questions the Council have had to answer make me question how some of our members can hold an ATPL when they clearly can't read...

Last edited by ElZilcho; 25th Apr 2020 at 08:22.