PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ pilot redundancies
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2020, 22:34
747-419

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ElZilcho
I've been with ALPA for over 15 years through various jobs and have no plans of changing that, however, someone made a comment in one of the Livestreams that I cannot fault:

"If this doesn't ratify the Feds might find themselves with another 400+ members once this is over" (Or words to that effect).

I'm expecting the agreement before us will ratify. Despite the protesting of a vocal minority I believe they are just that, a minority. However, if it doesn't ratify, it has the potential to tear ALPA apart.

Certain ALPA Pilots need to accept many of our Junior Colleagues were barely out of nappies in 1990 when the 747 dispute gave birth to the Federation... while some of the original signers are still with us, for the most part, it's ancient history. Focus on what ALPA stands for today instead of bitching about what the Feds did yesterday.
Don't tell me the Feds will have another name change!!.

In 1989 along with about 170 other pilots we formed the Air New Zealand Pilots Society. We felt alpa wasn't looking after the interests of ANZ pilots.
A few years later another bunch of pilots were disenchanted with alpa and decided to leave but couldn't bring themselves to join ANZPS because of the stigma attached so were going to form their own group. Discussions took place and FANZP was formed and both groups united.
If there is a possibility of another 400 pilots joining it is inevitable a name change will occur so as to avoid any sigma from the past.

Right from inception this group have been proactive at it is pleasing to see in this thread that they still are.

Good luck and hope the Feds are able to save some of their members livelihoods as they have shown they can conduct constructive meaningful negotiations.