PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Falklands Conundrum
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2020, 19:31
ex-fast-jets

Received 84 Likes on 22 Posts
Engines

I think that your last offering might just be a decade out.

I returned from a 3-year exchange with the USN in 1981, and along with Bob Iveson was, I think, the only involved 1(F) Sqn guy to have previously landed on a boat. My previous experience with the USN was cat and trap rather than Harrier, but Bob had, I think, done some AV-8A stuff.

But anyway - unless my memory has completely gone - all of the GR3 folk involved - including the 4 who did those remarkable Ascension to HERMES flights - apart from Bob & I - had never before landed on a boat.

I think that the "Hardy Crab" events that you refer to came much later, and most certainly after 82.

Certainly FINRAE was a HERMES/82 event that had its moments, despite some sterling efforts from those involved.

Thank you for your previous comment about the difficulties you had over an unserviceable Sea King reflecting some of the difficulties we had on HERMES. I am not at all surprised by your story, but also not at all surprised by the support you received from your Captain.

Just to finish - Tecumseh - we had the necessary transponders on our GR3s which we used in proximity to the carrier - so I doubt that the Captain was concerned about that aspect of our operations.

As an old f***wit, I feel the need to correct misunderstandings!!

Last edited by ex-fast-jets; 24th Apr 2020 at 20:40.