PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Falklands Conundrum
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2020, 18:57
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JTO,

Good question, well put. I suppose the reasons that I thought that the GR3s were declared and required to operate from ships were:

1. The fact that they had been running detachments to the CVS every year since about 1979 (these were called 'Hardy Crab'), and involved landing on and taking off from the ship. Quite a lot of them, actually.
2. The fact that the crews embarking in 'Hardy Crab' told us that they were required to be able to embark in the CVS for ops.
3. The fact that there was a substantial series of mods to the aircraft specifically designed to enable embarked ops, including not only I band transponders, as Tuc describes, but also extra tie down points, and modifications to the landing gear.

And so on.

My point was that, clearly, 'Hardy Crab' had not been sufficient to make the GR3 force fully operationally capable, hence the need for 'FINRAE' development (important because navigation over the sea is always a bit of a challenge) and the difficulties in getting the LGB capability full on line. However, I think I was careful to give credit to 1(F) and specifically their CO, Peter Squire. I only ever met him twice. Once in Port Stanley in 1982, when he took the time to ask me whether there was anything else his team could do to help me recover a U/S Sea King parked not far from their base. The second time was in 2001 at HQ Strike Command at the Battle of Britain Reception, when I was asked to come over and speak to CAS. I didn't recognise him, but he recognised me. He then lowered his voice and said how sad he was that my late brother (who served with him in Hermes in 1982) wasn't able to be there and how much he missed him. He was, in the view of this retired Naval officer, a true gentleman and a fine officer.

I have only the highest respect for anyone who strapped a Harrier on their a**e and went to war. But with that goes an expectation that all the Services need to work together and deliver the best effect for the nation. It hasn't always happened, sometimes for the worst of reasons. When they don't (and I care not a whit which one drops the ball) lessons need to be learned and the issues fixed.

Again, I am filled with optimism when I talk to the next generation (RAF and RN) who are getting the F-35B force ready to go to sea. A bright future beckons.

Best Regards as ever to all those young people showing us old f***s how it's done,

Engines