PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheremetyevo Superjet 100 in flames
View Single Post
Old 24th Apr 2020, 03:35
Lord Farringdon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by capngrog
Paul C;
I think you're on to something there. Looking at the video from the point that the aircraft comes to rest until about 52 seconds, it appears that the No.2 engine (can't really see behind No.1) is running at some thrust setting way above idle. Note how the flames on the ground appear to be "fanned" and the smoke plume from that area goes well aft of the empennage before moving left to right along with the rest of the flame and smoke. It appears that there is a pretty good breeze blowing from left to right of the video, which makes sense as airplane was landing into the wind (right to left).

Cheers,
Grog
Yep, I also note the Eng Masters are off so someone has flicked them in a hurry no doubt sometime during the splice in the video. No attempt to throttle back before doing so

Throttles fully advanced, spoilers retracted and flaps 3. I wonder if that is normal landing flap with full flap for crosswind or short field landings or if full flap is normal landing and flaps 3 for take off? If the latter he appears to be in a go around configuration before disaster struck. or perhaps they just didn't get to the flaps.

Here's a serviceable Superjet 100

here's a not so serviceable Superjet 100.