PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Falklands Conundrum
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 16:41
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot 'n' High

As an aside, one thing I never did really grasp (having never been involved myself) were the advent of Software Support Cells so that some in-service development work (at lead Air Station level rather than the Malvern-type input you mention) could be carried out. I always wondered what this did to config control of such systems as I assume, if changes were made "in service", it would have to be via the SM route.
Good point. You are right about CC. And don't bother raising requests for fault investigations, the Design Authority reply will be unprintable. It's like voiding a warranty. Nothing to stop a SSF proposing a change, but at the end of the day the DA has to prepare and sign the safety case update. The Services, especially, have people who are entirely capable, but appointers rarely respond well to a request for a triple tour. The only time I've known them to, it allowed one of your colleagues to develop a software spec when the company didn't know where to start. A rarity, rather forced on us by Min for Defence Procurement directing that a company in his constituency be awarded the contract, despite not bidding. Sometimes, needs must. I doubt if Fatty S. knows or cares that a young Lt RN saved his hide, and MoD countless millions.