PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Harrier Falklands Conundrum
View Single Post
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 14:46
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dagenham
The common thread from all three books regarding leadership on Hermes, seems to be a mindset of aircrew planning jollies, seriously destructive interservice or inter ship rivalry, micromanagement or not understanding the capabilities or impact of decision ( e.g. the photo interpretation example in Pook's book and the risk highlighted in Ward's book - regarding supposed fast jets on the Stanley runway )

Ultimately was this simply a stress reaction in the situation or a common leadership failure. I was surprised given the risk of so many lives that this was not picked up in after action review as the impact was pretty clear in the books, so must have been common knowledge?
Dags, the times the highlighted has screwed things up is quite depressing! It went on throughout my 30 odd years in the Services tho, for me, all my inter-service dealings were fine and I both worked for the other services at odd times (and had people from the other services working for me). It was at the higher "political" levels where it all seemed to go haywire. Risking starting a "WW3 - The Max!" blockbuster, the whole "SHAR >>> JFH >>> Harrier Canned" was predicted by many in the RN when the decision was first taken to form JFH. I'm sure there is probably a 1000 page Thread on just that one topic!

It really saddened me during my time in - but it's the same in all walks of life as I've now discovered (slow learner??!!) - humans are humans and, while most are decent/honourable, there are quite a large number who are the complete opposite.

Opps, I think H 'n' H just got H 'n' H on his soapbox! I'll just hop back down!!!!